Sunday, November 2, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls

This is my mom's cinnamon roll recipe and these cinnamon rolls are to die for!
Cinnamon Rolls

3 c flour
1 c oil
1 c sugar
4 T yeast
5 t salt
4 c hot water
1 c powdered milk - dry
5 eggs

14 c flour or less

Add all ingredients except the 14 c flour, beat with mixer for 3-5 minutes. Add additional flour 1 cup at a time until barely cleans side of bowl or just so you can handle. (The secret of good rolls is a soft of dough as possible.) Let rest 10 minutes, beat down, let rest 10 minutes. Put in oiled bowl, let rise till doubled (1-1 ½ hrs). Punch down & let rise until doubled (about 45 minutes – 1 hr). Divide dough in ½. Roll in rectangle about 1/3 inch thick.

Spread with:
1 stick softened butter
2 c brown sugar
3 T cinnamon
lightly sprinkle with white sugar
Roll up. Cut into 12 cinnamon rolls & lay on greased cookie sheet. Let rise, bake 400* for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

***Put pan of very hot water in the bottom of the oven & close oven door while dough rises each time. It helps keep the dough soft. Then take the pan of water out of the oven before you bake the rolls so that they bake in the dry heat. I do this for all breads that are rising.


Cream Cheese Frosting

Beat together for 5 minutes:
8oz Cream Cheese -soft
1 Cup Margarine -soft

Add slowly & beat for another 5 minutes:
3 ½ Cups 10x Powdered Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Flavor
½ tsp Lemon Flavor
Spread on cinnamon rolls while still warm & eat! I make an extra batch of frosting so that we can add more when eating them later.

2 comments:

Williams Family Dirt said...

OK so how many rolls does this recipe make...14 cups of flour seems like a ton??

Can't wait to make these, I have never done it before so I am sure they will turn out notso great, and Eric will be dissappointed, but oh well!

Williams Family Dirt said...

I did it! I made them over the summer, and it does make a ton of rolls. I almost burnt my motor out in my Kitchen Aid. I think the next time I make them I will half the recipe. For the frosting I used butter, because I can't use margarine when baking.

Hugs